You are now a parent. BOOM! Sometimes it can come to you as a surprise and sometimes you have been planning it for years! Non-the-less after the little bundle comes into your arms the real adventure begins. Are you a parent of young ones or maybe a caregiver? Here’s a mega list of all the things you will need.
Life Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance & an RESP
Yes, NOT KIDDING! And don’t stop reading here… Brendan Roberts from Sun Life Financial posted a meme (see below – “So, you bought insurance for your cell phone… But no life insurance to protect your family?!?”) and this is VERY true. Now, what’s the free stuff? Government Grants in the RESP. Totally FREE and YES you should get them! See my blog post about how you can receive a FREE gift card from Brendan Roberts at Sun Life Financial.
Government Money – Canada Child Benefit
Do you have kids ages 0-17? If you are reading this them I’m guessing you do! Have 5 kids ages 0-17 then WOOOHOO! You basically are being paid. You can get up to $6,400 per year for EACH child under the age of 6 and $5,400 per year for each child aged 6 to 17. Like to learn more? Check out the webpage here. It’s FREE moolah!
Breast Feeding Support
It is absolutely amazing how our bodies are created to create and grown a tiny human inside of it. Then, if that wasn’t cool enough, our body can feed all the nutrients our tiny human needs! Pssst IT’S FREE! Drink your water (13 cups a day – basically 1 cup of water an hour) and you will have MORE then enough milk for breastfeeding. Have you ever thought of donating? Start pumping right away after your babies birth. Contact the Northern Star Mother’s Milk Bank and off you go! Check out some breastfeeding support groups below:
Dental & Vision Care – Alberta Care Health Benefit
“Get free eyeglasses, prescriptions and dental visits for your children through the Alberta Child Health Benefit plan. It helps pay health care bills for families with limited incomes. Knowing your children’s health is cared for will bring peace of mind.” It’s… FREE check out more details here! “The Alberta Child Health Benefit plan pays for health services, such as eyeglasses, prescription drugs and dental care, that are not available through standard Alberta Health Care Insurance. The health plan is for children up to age 18, and up to age 20 if they live at home and are attending high school up to grade 12. There are no fees to sign up.”
You may not know this but…. “For Alberta children 18 years old and younger (1–18), and seniors 65 years and older, eye examinations are covered if received in Alberta. Optometry services received outside Alberta are not covered. Optometry benefits are limited to one complete exam, one partial exam, and one diagnostic procedure per benefit year (July 1 to June 30).” It’s FREE check out the details here!
Toddler & Growing Kids
Splash Parks & Play Parks. I didn’t grow up around parks but did have a park at the school I went to. I had always thought that these parks were only for the students at the school. Well! There are parks everywhere and you can go to them! Going to a park is FREE fun. It gets the kids out, you can pack a lunch if you wanted, and soak in some vitamin D.
Free Parent Time “Play Time”
- Parent Link – Check out my blog post to hear all about it. It’s all over Alberta &Parent Link is FREE! A centre to go as you are, make some friends and be connected. You’re not alone. Ages 0 – 5 years old.
- Box Social (Edmonton/Sherwood Park local) – Monthly events at different mall locations. FREE activities of all kinds, for a few hours, for your kids to enjoy! Ages 0 – 5 years old.
- Mommy Connections – Located in Edmonton there are different Mommy Connections (Watch out for their events as they are NOT always free). However put on once a month at West Edmonton Mall usually a 10-noon session.
- The 3 Day potty training e-book is WHAT YOU NEED. Use it, it WILL work but first believe in yourself. Stop what you doing, take a deep breath and don’t listen to any negativity. Do it and get it done girl!
Hidden Play areas
- Chuck e Cheese – yeah HELLO mini play park inside and its in a contained area(which is FREE to get into). Room for play date with another mom (high five) Their webpage also has some printable downloads to give are tickets and or tokens to use while you are there. Additionally if you sign up for their emails you are send free tickets and info about free events. ex. if you dress up in October you get free tickets, if you are there on the hour every hour there is a ticket splash ect.
I blog post and post on different social media to keep you up to date on free events, giveaways and contests. Follow Saveymommy on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! (We would <3 it if you shared us with your friends)